knowing I cannot be the person I would like to be unless Abba helps me to be, so I will have coffee with Him.

Sabiendo que no puedo ser la persona que quiero ser a menos que Abba me ayude a ser, por eso me siento a tomar un café con Él

Monday, January 14, 2008

Here and Now

"Compassion, as a downward movement towards solidarity instead of an upward movement towards popularity, does not require heroic gestures or a sensational turnaround. In fact, the compassionate life is mostly hidden in the ordinaries of everyday living. The question that truly counts is not whether we imitate Mother Teresa, but whether we are open to the many little sufferings of those with whom we share our life. Are we willing to spend time with those who do not stimulate our curiosity? Do we listen to those who do not immediately attract us? Can we be compassionate to those whose suffering remains hidden from the eyes of the world? There is much hidden suffering –more than the suffering everybody can see and we like to support —the suffering of the teenage who does not feel secure; the suffering of the husband and wife who feel that there is not love left between them; the suffering of the wealthy executive who thinks that people are more interested in his money than in him; the suffering of the gay man or woman who feels isolated from family and friends; the suffering of the countless people who lack caring friends, satisfying work, a peaceful home, a safe neighborhood; the suffering of the millions who feel lonely and wonder if life is worth living. True compassion always begins right where we are". (Here and Now, Nouwen) These words have helped me to realize that I have misunderstood what “Compassion” is all about. True compassion starts where we are, even if I need to start with me. But how can people know that I am a compassionate person if I am not willing to open up and share my struggles, my humanity, my incompetence, my loneliness, my doubts, my fears? How am I going to be able to suffer to those who suffer if I don’t show my suffering? If I do not do this then I can easily become a kind of “superhero”; a perfect person trying to make the world better.

"La compasión, como un movimiento descendente hacia la solidaridad en ves de un movimiento ascendente hacia la popularidad, no requiere gestos heroicos o cambios sensacionales. De hecho, la vida de compasión esta escondida en lo ordinario de la cotidianidad. La pregunta que en verdad cuenta no es si imitamos a la Madre Teresa, pero si estamos abiertos a los muchos y pequeños sufrimientos de aquellos con los cuales compartimos nuestra vida. ¿Estamos dispuestos a pasar tiempo con aquellas personas que no estimulan nuestra curiosidad? ¿Escuchamos a aquellos que al principio no nos sentimos atraídos a ellos?¿Podemos ser compasivos con aquellos los cuales sus sufrimientos están escondidos de los ojos del mundo? Existe mucho sufrimiento escondido—más de aquel sufrimiento que sí podemos ver y que nos gusta apoyar—el sufrimiento del adolescente que no se siente seguro; el sufrimiento del esposo y la esposa que sienten que ya no hay amor entre ellos; el sufrimientos del hombre de negocios que piensa que la gente esta mas interesada en su dinero que en él como persona; el sufrimiento del hombre o la mujer gay que se sientes separados de sus amigos y familia; el sufrimiento de muchas otras personas que no tienen un amigo que se preocupa por ellos; que no tienen un trabajo que les satisfaga, que no viven en una colonia segura; el sufrimiento de millones de personas que se sienten solas y que se preguntan si vale la pena vivir. La compasión verdadera siempre empieza en donde estamos" (Aqui y Ahora, Nouwen).Estas palabras me han ayudado a darme cuenta que posiblemente he malentendido que es la compasión. La compasión verdadera es donde nos encontramos hoy, aún si esa compasión empieza en mi. ¿Pero como la gente sabrá que soy una persona compasiva si no estoy dispuesto a abrir y compartir mis batallas, mi humanidad, mi incompetencia, mi soledad, mis dudas y mis miedos? ¿Cómo voy a poder sufrir con aquellos que sufren si no muestro mi propio sufrimiento? Si no hago esto, fácilmente puedo convertirme en una especie de “Superhéroe”; una persona perfecta tratando de hacer un mundo mejor.

No comments:

E-mail

carpizomiguel@yahoo.com