knowing I cannot be the person I would like to be unless Abba helps me to be, so I will have coffee with Him.

Sabiendo que no puedo ser la persona que quiero ser a menos que Abba me ayude a ser, por eso me siento a tomar un café con Él

Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Year- Nuevo Año

A new year has arrived and 2007 is already history; the holidays came and left as fast as the blink of an eye. Dinners, meals, get together and of course 10lbs more. To be honest I was not looking forward to this season and may be I was not even realizing that Christmas was close. Now, Christmas is gone and I ask myself: did I remember the birth of Christ more than any other month of the year? Did Christ's birth was more alive in my heart? Was my relationship with Him got closer because of this season? I could honestly answer "no". I am starting this new year not with new expectations, not with high hopes, not with lots of excitements, but with realistic thoughts about my own relationship with Abba and how this relationship would help me overcome my fears, doubts and lack of directions. The more I find myself in His arms, the more inner peace I feel. The more I let myself be drowned in the deep water of his love, the more I have to struggle with myself. I am learning the difference between loneliness and solitude, according to Henry Nouwen, "loneliness is painful, solitude is peaceful. Loneliness makes us cling to others in desperation; solitude allows us to respect others in their uniqueness and create community. The question is whether we let our aloneness become loneliness or whether we allow it to lead us into solitude" (Bread for the Journey). Solitude doesn't mean away from people; it means being able to constantly have a conversation with God and find ourselves seeking this intimate and inner encounter with Him surrounded by people or in the incredible experience of a wonderful sunset. But in order to be in solitude with Abba, I need to face my loneliness, and let me tell you this is extremely hard for me. It is better to pretend than to face how lonely I feel, how awkward my life is. "Our culture" says Nouwen, "has become most sophisticated in the avoidance of pain, not only our physical pain but our emotional and mental pain as well. We have become so used to this anesthesia, that we panic when there is nothing or nobody left to distract us" Walking towards facing my loneliness and the pain this may bring, so I can find myself in solitude with Him is how I want to start this year. Hopefully at the end of this year I could at least have make one step down into these deep waters.

Un Nuevo año ha llegado y el 2007 ya es historia. Las festividades llegaron y así de rápido se fueron. Cenas, comidas, reuniones y por supuesto 5 kilos más. Para ser honestos yo no estaba esperando que llegara esta temporada y creo que ni siquiera estaba consiente que las navidades estaban cerca. Ahora, la Navidad ya se fue y me pregunto: ¿me acordé del nacimiento de Cristo más que otros meses?, ¿estuvo el nacimiento de Cristo más cercano a mi vida? ¿Mi relación con él se fue más íntima debido a esta temporada? Podría ser honesto y contestar “no”. Estoy empezando este año no con grandes expectativas, no con grandes esperanzas, no con mucha emoción, pero con un pensamiento realista acerca de mi propia relación con Abba, y como esta relación me ayudará a vencer mis miedos, mis dudas y mi falta de dirección. Mientras más me encuentre en Sus brazos, mas paz interior tendré. Mientras más me deje ahogarme en las aguas profundas de Su amor, menos tendré que lidiar conmigo mismo. Estoy aprendiendo la diferencia entre soledad y “solitude”(termino que en inglés da un cierto significado de estar a solas con Dios que para uso en español y en estos escritos le llamaré “soledad interior”).Henry Nouwen dice, “la soledad es dolorosa, la soledad interior trae paz. La soledad nos hace amarrarnos a los demás en desesperación; la soledad interior nos da la oportunidad de respetar a los demás en su individualidad y crear comunidad. La pregunta es si podemos dejar que nuestra soledad llegue a convertirse en alejarnos de los demás o si dejamos que se convierta en la soledad interior de estar en Su presencia” (Pan para la Jornada). Soledad interior no significa alejarte de la gente; sino todo lo contrario, significa que constantemente estemos en conversación con Dios y que busquemos éste íntimo y profundo encuentro con El, ya sea que estemos rodeados de mucha gente, o en el increíble momento de un atardecer. Pero para poder estar en soledad interior con Abba tengo que enfrentar mi propia soledad, y para ser sincero, esto es sumamente difícil para mí. Es mejor pretender que mostrar a los demás cuan solo e incapaz me siento. “Nuestra cultura”, dice Nouwen, “se ha hecho más sofisticada en evadir el dolor, no solo el físico, sino el emocional y mental. Nos hemos acostumbrado a ésta anestesia que entramos en pánico cuando nos hay nada ni nadie que nos pueda distraer”. Así que caminar para enfrentarme con mi soledad y el dolor que esto pueda traer para poder encontrarme en soledad interior con Él es como quiero empezar esté año. Espero que al final del año haya podido tan siquiera dar un paso hacia estas profundas aguas.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I love your thoughts here...and your sincerity. I cannot bring myself to make "new years resolutions" but I do take this time at the beginning of the new year to challenge myself to strive to become more like His image and to examine ways in which I would like to grow.
Thanks for always posting such wonderful thoughts. I know I often forget to comment but I do enjoy reading them.
Joy,
Joanna

E-mail

carpizomiguel@yahoo.com