knowing I cannot be the person I would like to be unless Abba helps me to be, so I will have coffee with Him.

Sabiendo que no puedo ser la persona que quiero ser a menos que Abba me ayude a ser, por eso me siento a tomar un café con Él

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Ecunemism- Ecuménico

When I heard for the first time the word ecumenism I didn't have any idea about it because I never saw it in practice. I was educated in a Jesuit school but I was never taught about other faiths. According to wikipedia, Ecumenism" is derived from Greek oikoumene, which means "the inhabited world", but more figuratively something like "universal oneness." It was until I left Mexico while serving the United Methodist Church that I discovered what was the true meaning of this word. In Cookeville where I live my faith is part of the many active faiths of the thousands of people living in that small community.
We can put aside our differences and come to talk at the table as friends, as broken people willing to learn from others, willing to listen, willing to open our minds and hearts to the faith of my neighbored. I started to realize that I was a brother among the Catholics, the Baptist, the Methodist, the non-denominational, even to the ones who didn’t have any faith at all. But this is not happening in Mexico and my heart aches especially when I would like to be able to seat down with people and talk and share about the wonders of Christ.
As you know I write a lot about the Christ of my roots, that Christ is the one I was taught and fell in love when I was a teenager in the Jesuit school I was involved. That is why my heart aches of the division between Protestantism and Catholicism, my heart aches when as soon as you share with others your protestant faith many look at you like you are some kind of weird person. My heart aches when silence is part of the conversation instead of dialogue. When are we going to understand that Christ is the same at The Lord’s Table, and at the cross?

I came to Mexico with the expectations to encounter people willing to listen and may be learn from each other. To my surprise I saw a small beam of light, a new generation willing to dialogue. I was blessed to hear a young fellow (Jose Luis, my niece´s boyfriend) talk about His Christ and the life He represents in him. I was, for the first time since I became a protestant, talking to a Catholic (besides my mom), and the irony of all this is that we, both, are Christian, and Mexicans. For one moment we were in “the center of Christ’s Eucharistic in the middle of those who have trusted in Him” (Herny Nouwen). For one moment there was not difference between each other, for one moment we were practicing real ecumenism.

"I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings.Let us work together for unity and love."
--Mahatma Gandhi


Cuando escuche por primera vez la palabra ecumenismo no tenía la menor idea de lo que significaba porque nunca la había visto en práctica. Fui educado en una escuela Jesuita pero nunca fui enseñado acerca de otras creencias. Según Wikipedia, Ecumenismo deriva del Griego oikoumene, que significa “el mundo inhabitado”, pero con un sentido mas figurativo es “unidad universal”. Fue hasta que deje México mientras servía a la Iglesia Metodista Unida que descubrí el verdadero significado de ésta palabra. En Cookeville, donde vivo, mi fe es parte de muchas otras creencias activas de las miles de personas viviendo en esa comunidad. Podemos dejar a un lado nuestras diferencias y poder venir y hablar en la mesa como amigos, como gente quebrantada dispuesta a aprender uno del otro, dispuesto a escuchar, dispuestos a abrir nuestras mentes y corazones a la fe de mi prójimo. Me empecé a dar cuenta que yo era un hermano entre los Católicos, los Bautistas, los Metodistas, los no-denominacionales, y aún con aquellos los cuales no profesaban ninguna fe.
Pero segùn mis vivencias esto no estaba pasando en México y mi corazón se dolía especialmente cuando me gustaría sentarme con gente y hablar y compartir de las maravillas de Cristo. Como ustedes saben yo escribo mucho del Cristo de mis raíces, ese Cristo es el que me fue enseñado y del que me enamore cuando apenas era un adolescente en la escuela Jesuita. Mi corazón se duele al ver la división entre el Protestantismo y el Catolicismo, mi corazón se duele cuando al empezar a compartir con otros tu fe muchos empiezan a mirar como si fuera un bicho raro. Mi corazón se duele cuando el silencio es parte de la conversación y no del dialogo. ¿Cuándo entenderemos que el Cristo de la comunión y el de la cruz es el mismo?
Yo vine a México con la esperanza de encontrarme con gente dispuesta a escuchar y posiblemente aprender el uno del otro. Para mi sorpresa he visto un pequeño rayo de luz, una generación nueva dispuesta a dialogar. Fui bendecido al escuchar a un joven (José Luis, el novio de mi sobrina Mariana) hablar acerca de Su Cristo y de la vida que Cristo representa para él. Por primera vez desde que ingrese a la iglesia Protestante, estaba hablando con un Católico (Sin contar a mi madre), sin discutir, sin atacarnos, formando un dialogo en los cuales había momentos en que aun podíamos estar de acuerdo. La ironía de todo esto es que, los dos éramos Cristianos, y Mexicanos. Por un momento estábamos en “el centro de la Eucaristía de Cristo, en medio de aquellos que han puesto su confianza en él” (Henry Nouwen) Por un momento no había diferencias entre nosotros…….. por un memento practicábamos el verdadero ecumenismo.

"Te ofrezco paz. Te ofrezco amor. Te ofrezco amistad. Veo tu belleza. Veo tu necesidad. Siento tus sentimientos. Trabajemos juntos por la unidad y el amor."
–Gandhi

No comments:

E-mail

carpizomiguel@yahoo.com